Monday, December 16, 2013

Creativity


I read an article the other day about technology ruining our children.  The research has shown that technology shouldn't be introduced to children before the age of two.  In this article a mother made an argument that the only way she was able to get a shower, or get some dishes done was to had her toddler an Ipad or some type of electronic device for 10 minutes peace.  The researcher sited that 5 years ago, none of these electronic devices existed, and creativity flourished a lot more.   The researcher suggested handing your child measuring cups or pots and pans instead while doing the dishes to spark creativity.  I guess technology numbs the brain, and doesn't allow children to make connections.  I couldn't agree more.  I have totally been guilty and planting my children in front of the tv as a babysitter of sorts for some peace so that I could get some things done.


Sometimes I have appreciated that I do hair at home, and my children have been left to self entertain.  I like that they have been left to their own devices to come up with ideas, lots of times it has led to utter destruction, but hey at least its creative destruction.  Since we have moved into a larger house, surprisingly the tv hasn't been the center of attention.  There is more room to move about and explore.  We don't watch tv on the top floor of our house, so it leads to craft time.  The kids decided to get creative with some markers and Styrofoam with their craft time.  They were so proud of their marker table.


Sometimes these two kiddos come up with the silliest ideas together.  They giggle and pretend play in a world I just can't understand.  I love their care free attitude.  It's a happy attitude, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment