When I look at these beautiful pictures of my kids and the joyous expressions on their faces, I have nothing but gratitude in my heart. Life is never perfect, but we can chose how to perceive our lives. I've learned a lot going to college lately, and one underlining these is all about perception. It's never about if a problem actually exists, its about how someone perceives a problem. We recently spent some time at Bear Lake. While I sat on the beach watching my kids play, it was easy to think my life is nearly perfect. I choose to be happy! With my giggly children, it's easy to make that choice.
Recently I had to go to the post office. Going to the post office with children is one of my least favorite things to do. There's always a line, and my kids seem to find ways to run around and be crazy just about everywhere. I tried to go first thing in the morning to avoid a line, but it seems other people had the philosophy also. There I was waiting in line, and my kids were running wild, at least they were laughing about it. After a few minutes, I could tell people around me were annoyed, so I asked Luke if he would please come stand in line and set a good example. Luke listened and came to stand by me. A few short seconds later Clara came and joined, and she said "yea, the Holy Ghost will tell you to choose the right." I was proud in that moment that something had clicked in to her two year old brain. We have been trying to tell our kids that they have a helper to help them choose right choices. Apparently the lady behind me in line didn't think I was the best parent ever for teaching my children correct principles. She said "what are you teaching your children" in a derogatory tone. I ignored her at first, and I was a little embarrassed. Then I decided it doesn't matter what she thinks, my kids were listening for a short moment, and there was a glimmer of progress in their understanding.
Our children are so blessed, and I need to find better ways to teach them. We recently took a trip to donate to DI. When I was packing things up, they kids started noticing some of the items that were once theirs. I explained to them we are going to go give them to someone else who could use them. I tried to tell them some kids don't have all the things that they do. Luke seemed to start to grasp this concept. It's difficult to teach kids these important life lessons.
I was busy doing things around the house one day, and I could hear my children playing. They weren't screaming or yelling at each other, so I was tuning them out. I don't know exactly what they were doing or what they were saying. Then I finally listened to them because they were saying "mom, take a picture" and seriously could not stop giggling. I looked up, and this is what they were doing. They were putting their legs up to try and reach each other. In that moment, I felt guilty for ignoring them trying to keep the house clean. Instead, I should have joined them in their silliness, which is exactly what I did after I took this picture. I don't know why this was so funny, but in that moment I was also so grateful that I have happy children. Seriously, I have genuinely happy children. They aren't grumpy never smiling children. How many times have I been annoyed in the grocery store because they were giggling too loud? I need to stop a savor these precious children more often.
Every day we have tough moments. Raising little children is rough every day, but there are enough sweet moments to make it more than worth it. There seems to be every emotion shown every day. I feel like I live in a drama school with these kids practicing on me. However, I feel like our family couldn't be more happy. It's the silly moments at the end of the day that make us laugh that make you realize how perfect everything is!





No comments:
Post a Comment