The other day I was at a school function for Luke. I was sitting next to another mom while we were waiting. I decided to ask her what grade her kids were in. She said she just had one little girl in kindergarten. I asked her, which class because I had a son in kindergarten. We quickly found out our kids were in the same class. Then she asked me what my son's name was. As soon as I said "Luke", she said "oh! I've heard about Luke! My daughter loves him and talks about him all the time!" My reply was "oh dear! " She explained that it was a good thing!
What's funny about this experience is that it's not unique! Many times, I've had people tell me they know of Luke wherever he goes. Luke seems to be the memorable kid or the kids everybody loves. It's because he is simply a happy kid. He has an infectious laugh, and other kids always want to be around him. In experiences like the mother of the daughter who talks about Luke, I had no clue who her daughter was. Luke doesn't talk about her. It makes me happy to know Luke is widely loved. Luke sees a friend in everyone.
Clara is 4 going on 16. I need a voice recorder all the time to record our conversations. I don't know where she comes up with all the stuff she says all the time, it's just her. She asks questions constantly. Her comprehension has always been astounding. Her personality is one in a million, and while we have daily struggles with emotions and drama, she sure has the capacity to love. She remembers things that I never gave a second thought to. She likes to come up with crafty solutions to any of her problems. Her imagination is wild and the sky is the limit to her. She can't wait to drive, or wear make-up, or have her own cell phone and computer. Sometimes she simply hates being the second child and watching Luke do everything first. She's jealous he goes to kindergarten and she's still in preschool. She wants to be big right now! I constantly tell her to enjoy just being 4, but she always has an eye towards the future. Big things await this girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment