Thursday, November 10, 2011

resourceful

Luke can be resourceful.  He proved this to me yesterday.  We were running errands and then on our way to Luke's doctor's appointment when Luke fell asleep the last 5 minutes there.  So I woke him up for his appointment hoping he would take a nap after wards when we got home.  He had another idea.  I spent an hour laying down with him, hoping he would go to sleep, but he thought he had already taken his nap, so I am sure he thought I was crazy!  So I decided to leave him in his room, by himself.  Maybe that would be motivation for him to just go to sleep.  I heard him in his room, reading books to himself for about 20 minutes.  Then is was completely silent for about 20 more minutes, so I figured he had just laid down to go to sleep.  I quietly opened his door to check on him.  I wish I had a picture of what I found.

He was standing there, about ready to fall over from exhaustion.  He had opened his closet, and found his "church" bag.  This bag contained lots of things and food to keep him entertained during church.  Apparently it can keep him entertained when he is supposed to be taking a nap as well.  At the very bottom of the bag, the binki fairy had forgotten 1 binki.  We have been binki free for about 2 months now, but Luke found one, and was pleasantly sucking on it!  He had also gotten out his color books and crayons and was quietly coloring.  This was after he had already dumped out his bag of fruit loops and stomped on them all in to the carpet.  He looked so very tired, yet content.  He knew he was supposed to be quiet, which also meant sleeping, but this was his alternative.

I could have been mad, first that he found the binki, second that there were fruit loop pieces everywhere and third, simply that he wasn't sleeping.  However, I found myself laughing.  I had to give it to him for being resourceful.  When mommy throws you lemons of being stuck in your room to take a nap, just make some lemonade out of it and show her you can do what you want anyway!

I paid the price the rest of the day, since he had only slept 5 minutes, he was one ornery boy the rest of the day.  Luke has a sense of arrogance lately, because just in the last few weeks he has realized all the things he can do.  He has figured out how to unlock doors and open them.  He figured out that he can push a chair over to the counter, climb up the chair to climb up the counter.  He figured out that he can climb up the drawers in the bathroom to get up to the sinks etc.....
You get the picture, he is full of surprises lately of what he can figure out to do.
He keeps us busy, and that might be understating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment