Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Our First Stitches

I know this picture is totally gross, but we need to record our first stitches.  Lately, life has seemed difficult in our household, just seems like we can't catch a break lately.  Today only added to a long list of things that just haven't gone our way.  We started out our day happy and great.  It's Tuesday, so we hit up the weekly double coupon sale at Walmart.  It was great, got lots of great deals!  Luke always loves shopping trips because I totally bribe him with candy!!!

Later, we had a lunch/play date set up.  I was excited to go to this lunch date, because we were ordering in Cafe Rio!  We were also celebrating a birthday.  The kids were playing in the play room, and the mommies were eating lunch at the table.  Within about 5 minutes, we heard a kid crying.  I knew it was mine, but it honestly sounded more like a whine.  It was a different whine, one that I had never heard before, but I knew it was Luke and it didn't sound that bad.  Until I saw him, and blood was everywhere.  I scooped him up, and ran him over to the kitchen sink to try to wash it off.  I then saw the gaping hole in his lip and immediately knew we needed stitches.

Gilbert and I have talked about this day.  We knew some day, Gilbert would get the frantic call at work to meet us at the emergency room, time for stitches.  I knew this would be bad.  Luke is a fighter, and he is very strong for such a little boy.  I walked into the the emergency room, and I said to the nurse, "we need stitches, do you have an ice pack?"  She immediately got up and went for an ice pack and came back with a nurse.  They looked him over, and within another minute or two, a doctor came out to look at him.  They were commenting on what a nice gouge that was.  It was definitely going to need stitches.

I proceeded to ask them what they could do to take away his pain.  I didn't care what the cost, I just wanted them to make it stop hurting.  Luke was sucking on it, and licking it, and just making it worse.  They told me my options, all of which would take time to kick in.  Or else, he would have to endure about 10 seconds of pain and it would be over in about 10 minutes if they just hurried up and took care of it.  It needed to be taken care of immediately because Luke was not leaving it alone.  I was anxiously awaiting Gilbert's arrival because I knew I couldn't watch.  I told them just to hurry up and take care of it.  They wrapped him up in a sheet to try and contain his arms and legs.  They didn't believe me when I told them he was strong.  They needed to give him shots in his lip to numb it, that was going to be the 10 seconds of pain.  After the second shot, I wasn't feeling very good, and I decided to sit down.  I asked Gilbert to go stand by Luke instead.  Luke was screaming bloody murder the whole time, which absolutely broke my heart!  

Within another 30 seconds, I told the nurse that Gilbert needs to sit down, he was gray and plastic looking.  Gilbert sat down, and was having a difficult time.  They called in more nurses to help hold down Luke so they could finish.  In just another minute, he was done.  I handed Clara off to Gilbert because Luke wanted me to hold him.  About 30 seconds later, the doctor was taking Clara from Gilbert and nurses were swarming around him.  They were quickly getting Gilbert to lay down on the ground and breath in through his nose and out through his mouth......  Gilbert was going down....

Both of our kids were screaming, Gilbert was on the floor, and I was laughing......
No, this moment was not funny, it was just a comedy of errors.
I was standing there, now holding both of my children, trying to calm them both down, 
and watching Gilbert trying to breath and get some color back into his face.

We finally left to go home, trying to keep Luke from pulling his stitches every 3 seconds.
So this was our first stitches experience.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Brandi! What a story!! Poor Luke..poor you and poor Gilbert! I feel so bad for the little guy - ouch it looks bad. I hope he's okay!!

    ReplyDelete