I have made the same mistake far too often. I keep telling myself that life will slow down....it just doesn't. Just when I think I have simplified, something new pops up and life just keeps getting busier and busier. This past week has been one of those super busy weeks, where I have felt I haven't even had a moment to wander in my thoughts. It was my birthday! Welcome to my thirties...
I had a fabulous birthday, and celebrated in some fabulous ways. Gilbert and I attended a Valentine's ball at the Provo Library that was on the evening of my birthday. We had a blast. It was semi-formal and real dancing. We found that we were a little rusty on our social 101 dance course from Ricks College. None the less, we found each others two left feet and had fun together. It was a formal dinner with pictures and everything. It was a fun way to celebrate and have some time to ourselves!
Also this week, Luke had swimming lessons at the Lehi Rec Center. It's a fabulous indoor pool, so I decided that Clara and I would swim while Luke was in lessons. I took the kids a little early so Luke could enjoy some free time in the pool before his lessons began. Within the first 5 minutes of our swimming, Luke fell on the slide and split his chin wide open. It was definitely going to require stitches. I hurried and scooped up both children and calmly walked over to the life guard to ask for a bandage. Realizing I needed Gilbert's help, I quickly called Gilbert to head our way. Luke was in pain, and I needed to get us all dressed, so we could on our way to the urgent care.
Some day, I want to be able to look back on my life and laugh at this crazy busy stage I am in. My kids provide me an entertaining life to say the least. What happened next was one of my most embarrassing moments EVER!
The Lehi Rec center has two family dressing rooms right off of the pool area. The door was opened to one of them, which means its not in use. With two wet children, one on each hip, I hurried and grabbed my bag of dry clothes and ran into the family dressing room, locking the door behind me. Luke was crying and Clara was wet and cold. I decided to change myself first, so I quickly took off my swimming suit and started going through my bag to find my dry clothes, only to turn around and see a 10 year old boy standing there. In my nakedness, I grabbed for the towel, and quickly apologized. Since the door was open, I thought no one was in the dressing room. I was in such a hurry to get help for Luke that I didn't notice the boy using the bathroom. He quickly exited the family dressing room, which he shouldn't have been using anyway! So I again, locked the door behind him. As I continued to get myself dressed, Luke must have gone and unlocked the door, because another mom with her kids walked in on me....thankfully by this point I had managed to get my underwear on! In all of this frazzle, I finally managed to get myself and the kids dressed and out the door, just as Gilbert was arriving to help.
We took Luke to urgent care where they put 6 little stitches in his chin. By this point, it was so swollen, it looked like his entire chin was exposed. Poor little Luke laid down so still while then stitched him up, and I felt terrible that this had to happen to him! Needless to say, we had to miss swimming lessons all week.
Then Valentine's day came...and although these cake pops were WAY too much work, they were so cute and fun to make. I made these heart cake pops as Valentine's for Luke's preschool. All these holidays are so much more fun for me rather than Luke. I was so excited for Luke to go to preschool and have a "Valentine's Party" he just cared that he got a bunch of candy!
In all this crazy busy-ness of life, we have to have some comic relief. Usually the kids do or say something funny, in between their bouts of fits and crying. Sometimes some bath time fun is what makes the end of the day fun. Clara wasn't too happy about getting foam all over her, but she thought it was funny when Luke got foam all over him.
Clara is only beginning her sassy-ness. I'm afraid we've only seen the tip of what she is capable of. Clara is exercising her talent of becoming the world's best drama queen every day. It's incredible the emotions she is already capable of. She can pout, and cry nearly on demand. Anything and everything she gets mad about is always the worst case scenario for her. There is no middle ground for her, she always takes it to full steam! This little girl is smart and catches on quickly. She knows what she wants and will not be distracted or brought to change her mind. She holds her ground, but to her defense she does have to put up with a lot from Luke. Luke likes to pester her, just to pester. Right now he isn't the best big brother, but I am sure one day, he will be.
For now, I just need these pictures and stories to one day remind me that this is a good stage of life. Right now, it just seems like these kids are just too crazy, but at the end of every day, when we finally get the kids to sleep and the house is momentarily quiet, I am grateful that I have these two crazy kiddos in my life to keep me so busy!


Oh my, Brandi! I am laughing so hard. I can just see the horror on your face when you saw that little boy in the bathroom. :)
ReplyDelete