Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Happy Birthday..... I feel old!


Today is my birthday. It didn't start out as the best day. Let me tell you how my birthday started out. On a normal day Luke will start what I call his "sleep time" in the 7 pm hour. Which means he will usually only wake up every 2 hours to eat and go right back to sleep. "Sleep time" usually ends in the 5 am hour sometime. So that means between 7 pm-ish and 5 am-ish I can take "naps" between feedings.

Last night was a different story. He woke up at 9 pm like usual to eat, and then again at 11 pm, like usual to eat. By 1 am, he woke up to eat and decided it was wake up time. So after an hour of trying to rock him back to sleep, and him smiling at me the whole time I am sure he was thinking I was a silly mommy to think he was going to go back to sleep! By 2 am I decided to let him just lay by me in my bed while I fell asleep. He must have finally decided he was tired, but woke back up at 3:30 and screamed until 4:30. By this time Gilbert was kind enough to take over. However, once Gilbert finally got Luke to go back to sleep, Luke decided it was officially wake up time by 6 am. I am not trying to complain, I am just explaining how my birthday did NOT start out so great.

Luckily Gilbert had a fabulous gift waiting for me when I woke up. One of which was a very large banner wishing me a Happy Birthday on the outside of our house. The second was a really awesome electric toothbrush. I have wanted one of those for years! I have already used it a few times today, and I feel like I just got home from the dentist.

As the day progressed, Luke and I decided to go walk around the mall. Luke doesn't always like to just sit in his car seat, so I carried him on my hip. He has already learned how to get the ladies. He is a huge flirt to any lady that gives him any attention and is full of smiles. He was be a heart breaker for sure!

When we got home Gilbert had surprised us with what was supposed to be a half day of work, but he was late coming home from that. We walked around Costco tasting all the samples, which is always fun and entertaining. Finally we finished out the night having dinner at one of my favorite places, Texas Roadhouse.

During dinner is when I decided it sucks getting older! I still feel 21, only in my heart. I learned that for me, my body took a serious turn around 22-23 ish. This is when I discovered I could no longer do a lot of the things my body could do as a teenager. Then I had a baby. Then I REALLY discovered the limitations my body has. During dinner I realized that while our server had to be at least 19 to serve in Utah, she looked 16 for sure! All this means is I am getting old. Gilbert had to joke that we like to stay in Provo because we are surronded by young people who don't seem to age, so we are only fooling ourselves into thinking we aren't aging either.

Anyway, in the end, I have a fabulous husband and an adorable baby. I have to say I couldn't be happier with my life. Although I often feel like I am sleep walking through life, I am in love with the life I lead. I never thought being a mom could be so rewarding. I am grateful for a husband who loves and takes care of me. Having a child has been the best thing to happen to us and the best thing for our relationship. It has brought out the best in both of us. Gilbert is so patient and attentive, I couldn't ask for more. This has been a very uneventful birthday, but it has been GREAT! Thanks Gilbert for all you do for me!

BTW- I am still looking for more people to run the Provo Half Marathon with me. It is not too late to train. It is on May1 and it runs right through downtown Provo and down to Utah Lake. You know you want to do it!

3 comments:

  1. Happy late birthday Brands! I really was thinking of you yesterday. I am glad you got out and spent some time with your boys! You deserve a great day. I can totally relate to the dea of feeling 20 and realizing I'm 27. What the???

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think you are feeling 'old' at your age you should try looking at it when you are nearing 60 and feel like inside you are still 30. Oh, to feel young again would be grand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great picture!! Lookin' good - so happy :)

    ReplyDelete